Wio ESP32 CAN Dev kit is based on the ESP32C3 and uses the Wio-E5 STM32WLE5JC module as the Long Range controller. It supports CAN FD & CAN2.0 communication and features outstanding RF performance and high extensibility. It's ideal for car hacking and Long Range sensor network management.
- Outstanding RF performance: Powerful ESP32-C3 SoC and U.FL antenna that supports WiFi/Bluetooth connection over 100m. It also supports a Global Long Range frequency plan with a long-distance transmission range of 10km(ideal value in open areas)
- 2 Independent CAN FD Interface: Supports CAN FD, CAN2.0 communication
- High extendability with various sensors: full GPIOs led out to rich interfaces, including Grove modules for GPS, environmental detection, etc
- Support industrial standards: a wide working temperature at -40 ℃ ~ 85℃, high sensitivity between -116.5 dBm ~ -136 dBm, and power output up to +20.8dBm at 3.3V
- Easy to use: User-friendly IP66 waterproof case for better outdoor deployment and enables temporary use when lacking an external power source
As an upgraded version of the Wio-E5 CAN Dev Kit, it consists of a Wio ESP32 CAN bus Dev Board, an antenna(EU868/US915), a U.FL antenna, and a waterproof case.
Different from the previous Wio-E5 CAN Dev Kit, it's embedded with a highly-integrated ESP32-C3 chip, built around a 32-bit RISC-V chip processor with a four-stage pipeline that operates at up to 160 MHz. This chip has been installed with a complete 2.4GHz Wi-Fi subsystem which means it supports Station mode, SoftAP mode, SoftAP & Station mode, and promiscuous mode for multiple Wi-Fi applications. It works under an ultra-low power state, also supporting features of Bluetooth 5 and Bluetooth mesh. There are 400 KB SRAM & 4 MB Flash on the chip, allowing for more programming space, and bringing more possibilities to the IoT control scenarios.
It uses the Wio-E5 STM32WLE5JC module as the Long Range controller which supports the Long Range protocol on the global frequency band with a long-distance transmission range of 10km(ideal value in open areas).
And this user-friendly board provides rich interfaces including Grove connectors and male/female pin headers for you to connect sensors and modules with different connectors and data protocols, saving time on wire soldering. It is designed with industrial standards with a wide working temperature at -40 ℃ ~ 85℃, high sensitivity between -116.5 dBm ~ -136 dBm, and power output up to +20.8dBm at 3.3V.
What is CAN-BUS?
CAN stands for Controller Area Network, it is used to allow microcontrollers and devices to communicate with each other within a vehicle without a host computer which allows for control and data acquisition. These devices are also called Electronic Control Units (ECU) and they enable communication between all parts of a vehicle.
Today, you can find up to 70 ECUs in a modern car. CAN is a serial communication bus designed for industrial and automotive applications. For example, they are found in vehicles, farming equipment, industrial environments, etc.
How does CAN-BUS work?
The fuel level, door sensors, odometer, and many more parts of a car have to communicate with each other somehow, and CAN BUS is what they used to do. These CAN-compatible components, called “nodes” are connected with a 3-string copper wire, with no central router to govern the data flow. Every node can hear the messages of every other node.
Every node has an ID, where the ones with the higher priority ID can have the priority to “talk” first while the others “listen”. This is to ensure that there are never two nodes talking at the same time. The most significant benefit of CAN-BUS is to be able to just connect components without having to worry about signal routing.
We have developed more than 400 Grove modules, covering a wide range of applications that can fulfill various needs. You can take the advantage of the onboard Grove interfaces to expand more functions you may need in your projects.
- Grove - GPS (Air530)---Provide real-time GPS tracking. Monitor the live trips and save the data for retrieval. Keep a record of the number of days parked.
- Grove - AHT20 I2C Industrial Grade Temperature and Humidity Sensor---Monitor and record the temperature and humidity in the vehicle, and alert if it rises above or below the standard setting.
- Grove - 3-Axis Digital Accelerometer(±1.5g)---Sensing data changes for devices' fall detection.
- Grove - GUVA-S12D UV Sensor---Used for detecting the intensity of incident ultraviolet(UV) radiation.
- Grove - Multichannel Gas Sensor v2---provides stable and reliable gases detecting function under the circumstances of any other four sorts of gases
You can also interact with the devices through a Human-Machine Interface(HMI):
- Wio Terminal---Sense and tag the Real-World data with over 300 Groves created by Seeed and visualize through Azure IoT Central Platform to create an end-to-end IoT project.
- reTerminal CM4104032---reTerminal is powered by a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) which is a Quad-Core Cortex-A72 CPU running at 1.5GHz and a 5-inch IPS capacitive multi-touch screen with a resolution of 720 x 1280.
- Long Range sensor network management: Many sensors in the industry are transmitted through CAN BUS. With the Wio ESP32 CAN Dev board, you can use the onboard CAN BUS function to read the sensors and send the data through Long Range.
- Car hacking: Since the circuit board can receive 7-28V input, the user can connect the circuit board to the OBD interface, and get the data of the car.
- CAN Gateways: Since it enables the possibility of connecting different CAN networks (or sub-networks) with different baud rates and protocols, or integrating with CAN with different network types, such as Ethernet.
5V/USB, 3.7V Lipo Battery, 7-28V DC Input
Up to 20.8dBm at 3.3V
Long Range, (G)FSK, (G)MSK, BPSK
CAN 2.0 speed
Up to 1Mb/s
CAN FD speed
Up to 5Mb/s
CAN Bus Family in Seeed
CAN-BUS series product selection reference is provided here. The table compares NEW-Release Wio-E5 CAN, CANBed v1, CANBed FD, CANBed M4, and CANBed RP2040 in terms of MCU, protocol, memory, interface, etc.
Wio ESP32 CAN
ATmega32U4(with Arduino Leonardo bootloader)
ATmega 32U4 (with Arduino Leonardo bootloader)
ATSAME51 32bit Cortex M4 core
(Dual ARM Cortex-M0+)
up to 48MHz
up to 133 MHz
Long Range,CANFD & CAN2.0
Long Range,RS485,CANFD & CAN2.0
CANFD & CAN2.0
CANFD & CAN2.0
CANFD & CAN2.0
Operate Voltage （MicroUSB）
9 pin sub-D or 4PIN Terminal
9 pin sub-D or 4PIN Terminal
9 pin sub-D or 4PIN Terminal
sub-D or 4PIN Terminal
sub-D as well as Terminal
Wio-E5 CAN Development Board
Shipping rates Australia wide and New Zealand
- How do I estimate shipping for my order?
- Add products in the shopping cart and head to the checkout page to estimate the shipping.
Unless expressly agreed otherwise with you, we will not commence delivery of an order until we have received cleared payment of the purchase price in full.
All orders placed before 11 am AEST (Monday to Friday) will ordinarily be processed on the same day.
We will endeavour to ship the Products by the applicable time indicated on the website, but all times are indicative only. All shipping times are dispatch times only, and actual delivery dates will depend on the shipping method chosen, delivery address and delivery service provider.
Note- Please make a note during purchase if you require any item urgently. However we cannot guarantee that we will be able to comply with any request.
*Go to Australia post delivery time calculation to get various Australia post service in your area please use our shipping postcode Thomastown, 3074 as the "from" address - https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-times.html?ilink=tools-open-deliv-times.
We ship all products throughout mainland Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand - Including Darwin, Melbourne, Sydney, Tasmania, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, all metro and regional areas but do not deliver to areas in Australia where the Australia Post delivery network is not available.
Check Express shipping delivery coverage area at - http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-areas.html
Receipt of deliveries
Deliveries to post office boxes are not permitted where delivery is by courier. If delivery is by courier and nobody is available at the delivery address to accept delivery when delivery is attempted then the courier may either:
- leave the relevant parcel at the unattended address (the courier will do so if specified in your delivery requirements); or
- re-attempt delivery at a later time or date, in which case we may charge you an additional re-delivery fee.
Note that if a delivery is left unattended at the shipping address and is subsequently stolen then the theft is your responsibility, not ours.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.