For those who want to integrate our awesome Ultimate GPS module into their own projects, we now have the raw sub-module available. Don't be fooled by it's small size, this is a very sensitive, high quality GPS module with all the extras you could want and more at under 6 grams!
It's got everything you want and more:
- -165 dBm sensitivity, 10 Hz updates, 66 channels
- Ultra low power usage: 20mA current draw while tracking
- 3.3V operation,
- RTC battery-compatible
- Built-in datalogging
- PPS output on fix
- We have received reports that it works up to ~32Km altitude (the GPS theoretically does not have a limit until 40Km)
- Internal patch antenna + connection for optional external active antenna
- Fix status output
- Ultra small size: only 16mm x 16mm x 5mm and 4 grams
...all for under $30!
This module is built around the MTK3339 chipset, a no-nonsense, high-quality GPS module that can track up to 22 satellites on 66 channels, has an excellent high-sensitivity receiver (-165 dB tracking!), and a built in antenna. It can do up to 10 location updates a second for high speed, high sensitivity logging or tracking. Power usage is incredibly low, only 20 mA during navigation.
Two features that really stand out about version 3 MTK3339-based module is the external antenna functionality and the the built in data-logging capability. The module has a standard ceramic patch antenna that gives it -165 dB sensitivity, but when you want to have a bigger antenna, you can attach an active antenna to the ANT pad. The module will automatically detect the active antenna and switch over!
The other cool feature of the new MTK3339-based module (which we have tested with great success) is the built in datalogging ability. Since there is a microcontroller inside the module, with some empty FLASH memory, the newest firmware now allows sending commands to do internal logging to that FLASH. The only thing is that you do need to have a microcontroller send the "Start Logging" command. However, after that message is sent, the microcontroller can go to sleep and does not need to wake up to talk to the GPS anymore to reduce power consumption. The time, date, longitude, latitude, and height is logged every 15 seconds and only when there is a fix. The internal FLASH can store about 16 hours of data, it will automatically append data so you don't have to worry about accidentally losing data if power is lost. It is not possible to change what is logged and how often, as its hardcoded into the module but we found that this arrangement covers many of the most common GPS datalogging requirements.
We've received reports from customers that have tested this version of the Ultimate GPS module in a high-altitude balloon, and it kept fix up to ~32km! There is a (theoretical, untested) firmware limit of 40Km. However, we provide no guarantee that it will work in all HAB's.
This item is just the GPS module itself, no breakout board or other components included. The module can be soldered by hand without too much difficulty, we have it in our Eagle Library (GPS_FGPMMOPA6H) to make it easy to use. If you're interested in getting started fast, check out our Ultimate GPS breakout board which comes all assembled and tested. Please note the look of the module has changed, so you may get different markings on the top, the functionality is the same
We have a nice fancy Arduino library for GPS usage, with background parsing and can set and query the built in GPS logging capability (called LOCUS). A full tutorial for the breakout is also available, which has tons of information about the module, how to use the data logger and more
- Satellites: 22 tracking, 66 searching
- Ultra small size: only 16mm x 16mm x 5mm and 4 grams
- Update rate: 1 to 10 Hz
- Position Accuracy: < 3 meters (all GPS technology has about 3m accuracy)
- Velocity Accuracy: 0.1 meters/s
- Warm/cold start: 34 seconds
- Acquisition sensitivity: -145 dBm
- Tracking sensitivity: -165 dBm
- Maximum Altitude for PA6H: tested at 27,000 Meters
- Maximum Velocity: 515m/s
- Vin range: 3.0-4.3VDC
- MTK3339 Operating current: 25mA tracking, 20 mA current draw during navigation
- Output: NMEA 0183, 9600 baud default
- DGPS/WAAS/EGNOS supported
- FCC E911 compliance and AGPS support (Offline mode : EPO valid up to 14 days )
- Up to 210 PRN channels
- Jammer detection and reduction
- Multi-path detection and compensation
- 8/4/2014: firmware version 5632 - back compatible but apparently adds better high-altitude calculations according to GTop
- Prior to 8/4/2014: Firmware version 5153
- MTK3329/MTK3339 command set sheet for changing the fix data rate, baud rate, sentence outputs, etc!
- Datasheet for the PA6H (MTK3339) GPS module
- MT3339 GPS PC Tool (windows only) and the PC Tool manual
- Mini GPS tool (windows only)
Shipping rates Australia wide and New Zealand
- How do I estimate shipping for my order?
- Add products in the shopping cart and head to the checkout page to estimate the shipping.
Unless expressly agreed otherwise with you, we will not commence delivery of an order until we have received cleared payment of the purchase price in full.
All orders placed before 11 am AEST (Monday to Friday) will ordinarily be processed on the same day.
We will endeavour to ship the Products by the applicable time indicated on the website, but all times are indicative only. All shipping times are dispatch times only, and actual delivery dates will depend on the shipping method chosen, delivery address and delivery service provider.
Note- Please make a note during purchase if you require any item urgently. However we cannot guarantee that we will be able to comply with any request.
*Go to Australia post delivery time calculation to get various Australia post service in your area please use our shipping postcode Thomastown, 3074 as the "from" address - https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-times.html?ilink=tools-open-deliv-times.
We ship all products throughout mainland Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand - Including Darwin, Melbourne, Sydney, Tasmania, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, all metro and regional areas but do not deliver to areas in Australia where the Australia Post delivery network is not available.
Check Express shipping delivery coverage area at - http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-areas.html
Receipt of deliveries
Deliveries to post office boxes are not permitted where delivery is by courier. If delivery is by courier and nobody is available at the delivery address to accept delivery when delivery is attempted then the courier may either:
- leave the relevant parcel at the unattended address (the courier will do so if specified in your delivery requirements); or
- re-attempt delivery at a later time or date, in which case we may charge you an additional re-delivery fee.
Note that if a delivery is left unattended at the shipping address and is subsequently stolen then the theft is your responsibility, not ours.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.