You've heard about the sensors in the news, when used in self-driving cars, and now you can have your own! Garmin's LIDAR-Lite V3 is the ideal high-performance (but compact) optical distant measurement sensor solution for drone, rovers, robots, or interactive project. Garmin makes high quality sensors, they're renowned for their GPS sensors, and these LIDARs are nice and high quality devices.
You can measure up to 40 meters away with laser-based sensor that draws only 130 mA during an acquisition. You can easily adjust between accuracy, operating range and measurement time using the I2C command set.
- Compact, lightweight with low power consumption
- Communication via I2C (recommended and PWM
- True laser distance measurements - many sensors advertised as LIDAR are not really LIDARs
- Example library code available for Arduino (C/C++) and CircuitPython/Python
Note this LIDAR doesn't rotate around, it's just for measuring 'straight ahead', but it's really light and compact in comparison so when you don't need something that spins around this is a superior LIDAR.
You will need a microcontroller or microcomputer to connect to the I2C pins to read the distance values. In theory Garmin says you can take measurements at up to 500 Hz but that depends on how accurate you want the measurements. We got ~150Hz for most of our use cases.
- GitHub repository here
- Support center
- Unit size (HxWxD): 40 x 48 x 20mm / 1.6" x 1.9" x 0.8"
- Weight: 22g / 0.77oz
- Resolution: 1cm
- Accuracy: +/- 2.5cm at distances greater than 1 meter. Refer to manual for complete operating specifications.
- Range: 5 cm to 40 meters
- Update rate: up to 500 Hz
- Interface: I2C or PWM
- Power (operating voltage): 4.75-5 VDC; 6 V Max
- Current consumption: 105ma, idle; 130ma, continuous
- Operating temperature: -20 to 60° C
- Laser wave length/Peak power: 905 nm/1.3 watts
- Beam divergence: 8m Radian
- Optical aperture: 12.5mm
- Regulatory approvals: CLASS 1 LASER PRODUCT CLASSIFIED EN/EIC 60825-1 2014. This product is in conformity with performance standards for laser products under 21 CFR 1040, except with respect to those characteristics authorized by Variance Number FDA-2016-V-2943 effective September 27, 2016. System contains no user serviceable components. Repair or service of the system is only to be handled by factory trained technicians. No service by the user is allowed.
Shipping rates Australia wide and New Zealand
- How do I estimate shipping for my order?
- Add products in the shopping cart and head to the checkout page to estimate the shipping.
Unless expressly agreed otherwise with you, we will not commence delivery of an order until we have received cleared payment of the purchase price in full.
All orders placed before 11 am AEST (Monday to Friday) will ordinarily be processed on the same day.
We will endeavour to ship the Products by the applicable time indicated on the website, but all times are indicative only. All shipping times are dispatch times only, and actual delivery dates will depend on the shipping method chosen, delivery address and delivery service provider.
Note- Please make a note during purchase if you require any item urgently. However we cannot guarantee that we will be able to comply with any request.
*Go to Australia post delivery time calculation to get various Australia post service in your area please use our shipping postcode Thomastown, 3074 as the "from" address - https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-times.html?ilink=tools-open-deliv-times.
We ship all products throughout mainland Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand - Including Darwin, Melbourne, Sydney, Tasmania, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, all metro and regional areas but do not deliver to areas in Australia where the Australia Post delivery network is not available.
Check Express shipping delivery coverage area at - http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-areas.html
Receipt of deliveries
Deliveries to post office boxes are not permitted where delivery is by courier. If delivery is by courier and nobody is available at the delivery address to accept delivery when delivery is attempted then the courier may either:
- leave the relevant parcel at the unattended address (the courier will do so if specified in your delivery requirements); or
- re-attempt delivery at a later time or date, in which case we may charge you an additional re-delivery fee.
Note that if a delivery is left unattended at the shipping address and is subsequently stolen then the theft is your responsibility, not ours.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.