Enable middle school students to think and act like real scientists
Science or STEM teachers who want to bring an inquiry-based, hands-on approach to their middle school classrooms can enable their students to think and act like real scientists with Science Kit Physics Lab. Developed in partnership with Google, the kit and nine exciting projects challenge students to explore and explain the physics behind amusement park rides, make their own hypotheses, check their assumptions and log data.
Students can make their own hypothesis like a real scientist, then check their assumptions, and log data thanks to Google’s Science Journal app — a digital notebook for conducting and documenting science experiments using the unique capabilities of their own devices.
The kit, based on the Arduino MKR WiFi 1010, includes a range of sensors to measure light, temperature, motion, and magnetic fields; plus it comes with a set of props and full access to online course content for teachers and students to conduct nine exciting science projects inspired by popular fairground rides like the Gravitron and Pirate Ship. We recommend two students per kit.
Key learning values include:
- Present experimental data in tables and charts
- Evaluate a scientific hypothesis
- Explore possible variables to design an open-ended investigation
- Distinguish between a conductor and an insulator, and measure resistance and conductivity of different materials
- Represent magnetic fields through sound
- Investigate the effect of materials between a magnet and the magnetometer on the strength of magnetic field
- Compare the thermal conductivity of different materials
- Identify materials that are thermal conductors or thermal insulators based on experimental observations
- Describe the motion of a pendulum, measure its period and frequency, monitor its acceleration, and identify the forces acting on it
Experiment with nine exciting science projects based upon these fairground favourites:Electromagnetism and Thermodynamics
Investigate resistivity, and voltage of different materials.
Build a conductive ‘maze’ and then try to avoid the buzzer as you guide the loop around your course.
Make paranormal noise with a magnet.
It’s not magic, it’s science! Learn about how different materials conduct or insulate heat.
Kinetics and Kinematics
Explore gravity and measure the acceleration of your Arduino board.
Learn about rotations per minute, circular motion, the force required to spin this ride, and the relationship to centrifugal forces.
Captain the ship and test the oscillation of a pendulum.
Make your board bounce to learn about harmonic motion.
Don’t get dizzy… Learn more about potential energy and motion.
The projects featured in the kit have been aligned with several National curricula including the Next Generation Science Standard (NGSS) for K-12, the National UK Curriculum and Australian Curriculum links.
|Science||Inquiry skills and Human Endeavour strands|
|Physical science||Year 6 - Electrical energy ACSSU097|
|Year 7 Change to an object's motion ACSSU117|
|Year 8 , 9 and 10|
|Digital technology||Year 5 & 6 Types of Data and software ACTDIP016|
|Year 7 & 8 Data sources and evaluate ACTDIP025|
|Year 9 & 10 acquiring, storing and validating quantitative ACTDIP036|
|General capabilities||Numeracy & ICT|
For further information or product demo click here.
Everything comes in a handy storage box for future use, with all the necessary parts to assemble and conduct experiments.
The kit features a range of sensors to measure light, temperature, motion, magnetic fields, and most importantly, full access to online course content for teachers and students alike.
You’ll just need to provide a few essential classroom supplies (pencils, rulers, etc.) and a LiPo battery (not included).
Benefits of Science Kit Physics Lab
- Enables students to think critically, solve problems, and get them acquainted with data analysis
- No prior electronics knowledge is necessary - just plug and play!
- Extensive learning outcomes help students to thrive in science
- Create a playful, collaborative environment where students want to learn
- Meet key curriculum targets with links to Australian strands
- The Science Kit Physics Lab kit, which includes:
- Arduino MKR WiFi 1010
- Science carrier board
- Two silicone standoffs
- Flat micro USB cable
- Light sensor module with grove connector
- Temperature sensor module with grove connector
- Two 20cm grove cables - universal 4-pin connector
- Two 50cm and two 20cm double-ended cables: crocodile clip/banana plug
- Hook-and-loop Velcro™ strap
- Hook-and-loop Velcro™ dot
- Two PCB sticks
- PCB encoder
- Mini slinky metal spring
- Eight M3 screws
- Eight M3 bolts
- Four rubber bands
- Four small silicone gaskets
- Two big silicone gaskets
- Software platform for educators with a teacher guide and printable student worksheets
- Software platform for students with a detailed glossary, tutorial section, building instructions, worksheets, and nine hands-on physics experiments,
*Not currently compatible with Google Science Journal App for iOS
Shipping rates Australia wide
|Express Post*||Regular Post||Courier|
|Up to 500 gms||$9.79||$6.75||$15.99|
|Up to 3 kg||$15.00||$11.40||$15.99|
|Up to 5 kg||$30.00||$22.11||NA|
|Above 5 kg
||Estimated at checkout|
Shipping rates to New Zealand
|Australia Post international service|
|Up to 500 gms||$18.00|
|Up to 1 kg||$30.00|
|Above 1 kg
||Available on request|
- How do I estimate shipping for my order?
- Add products in the shopping cart and head to the checkout page to estimate the shipping.
Unless expressly agreed otherwise with you, we will not commence delivery of an order until we have received cleared payment of the purchase price in full.
All orders placed before 11 am AEST (Monday to Friday) will ordinarily be processed on the same day.
We will endeavour to ship the Products by the applicable time indicated on the website, but all times are indicative only. All shipping times are dispatch times only, and actual delivery dates will depend on the shipping method chosen, delivery address and delivery service provider.
Note- Please make a note during purchase if you require any item urgently. However we cannot guarantee that we will be able to comply with any request.
*Go to Australia post delivery time calculation to get various Australia post service in your area please use our shipping postcode Rosanna, 3074 as the "from" address - https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-times.html?ilink=tools-open-deliv-times.
We ship all products throughout mainland Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand - Including Darwin, Melbourne, Sydney, Tasmania, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, all metro and regional areas but do not deliver to areas in Australia where the Australia Post delivery network is not available.
Check Express shipping delivery coverage area at - http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-areas.html
Receipt of deliveries
Deliveries to post office boxes are not permitted where delivery is by courier. If delivery is by courier and nobody is available at the delivery address to accept delivery when delivery is attempted then the courier may either:
- leave the relevant parcel at the unattended address (the courier will do so if specified in your delivery requirements); or
- re-attempt delivery at a later time or date, in which case we may charge you an additional re-delivery fee.
Note that if a delivery is left unattended at the shipping address and is subsequently stolen then the theft is your responsibility, not ours.