What's the size of a credit card and can run CircuitPython, MakeCode Arcade or Arduino? That's right, its the Adafruit PyBadge! We wanted to see how much we could cram into a 3 3⁄8 × 2 1⁄8 inch rounded rectangle, to make an all-in-one dev board with a lot of possibilities, and this is what we came up with.
The PyBadge is a compact board, like we said, it's credit card sized. It's powered by our favorite chip, the ATSAMD51, with 512KB of flash and 192KB of RAM. We add 2 MB of QSPI flash for file storage, handy for images, fonts, sounds, or game assets.
On the front you get a 1.8" 160x128 color TFT display with dimmable backlight - we have fast DMA support for drawing so updates are incredibly fast. There's also 8 silicone-top buttons, they are clicky but have a soft button top so they're nice and grippy. The buttons are arranged to mimic a gaming handheld, with a d-pad, 2 menu-select buttons and 2 fire-action buttons. There's also 5 NeoPixel LEDs to dazzle or track activity.
On the back we have a full Feather-compatible header socket set, so you can plug in any FeatherWing to expand the capabilities of the PyBadge. There's also 3 STEMMA connectors - two 3-pin with ADC/PWM capability and one 4-pin that connects to I2C - you can use this for Grove sensors as well.
For built in sensors, there's a light sensor that points out the front, and a 3-axis accelerometer that can detect taps and free-fall. To make bleeps and bloops, there's a built in buzzer-speaker. For projects where you need more volume, you can plug in one of our 8 ohm speakers.
You can power the PyBadge from any of our LiPoly batteries, but we like this 400mAh one. An on-off switch will save battery power when not in use. Or power from the Micro USB port - it will also charge up the battery if one is attached.
Now, how to program it? Well you've got a lot of options!
- MakeCode Arcade is the easiest to start for making games, you can drag-and-drop blocks and load games over the disk-drive bootloader
- CircuitPython lets you draw graphics, play wave files and print out text in any fonts - all in Python! There's tons of sensor support as well.
- Arduino is low level, powerful, but a little more challenging. You can use Adafruit Arcada to interface with the hardware and it will abstract some of the nitty-gritty details like reading buttons for you.
Here's a list of everything you get
- ATSAMD51J19 @ 120MHz with 3.3V logic/power - 512KB of FLASH + 192KB of RAM
- 2 MB of SPI Flash for storing images, sounds, animations, whatever!
- 1.8" 160x128 Color TFT Display connected to its own SPI port
- 8 x Game/Control Buttons with nice silicone button tops (these feel great)
- 5 x NeoPixels for badge dazzle, or game score-keeping
- Triple-axis accelerometer (motion sensor)
- Light sensor, reverse-mount so that it points out the front
- Built in buzzer mini-speaker
- Mono Class-D speaker driver for 4-8 ohm speakers, up to 2 Watts
- LiPoly battery port with built in recharging capability
- USB port for battery charging, programming and debugging
- Two female header strips with Feather-compatible pinout so you can plug any FeatherWings in
- JST ports for NeoPixels, sensor input, and I2C (you can fit I2C Grove connectors in here)
- Reset button
- On-Off switch
Product Dimensions: 85.7mm x 54.6mm x 10.0mm / 3.4" x 2.1" x 0.4"
Product Weight: 29.3g / 1.0oz
Shipping rates Australia wide and New Zealand
- How do I estimate shipping for my order?
- Add products in the shopping cart and head to the checkout page to estimate the shipping.
Unless expressly agreed otherwise with you, we will not commence delivery of an order until we have received cleared payment of the purchase price in full.
All orders placed before 11 am AEST (Monday to Friday) will ordinarily be processed on the same day.
We will endeavour to ship the Products by the applicable time indicated on the website, but all times are indicative only. All shipping times are dispatch times only, and actual delivery dates will depend on the shipping method chosen, delivery address and delivery service provider.
Note- Please make a note during purchase if you require any item urgently. However we cannot guarantee that we will be able to comply with any request.
*Go to Australia post delivery time calculation to get various Australia post service in your area please use our shipping postcode Thomastown, 3074 as the "from" address - https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-times.html?ilink=tools-open-deliv-times.
We ship all products throughout mainland Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand - Including Darwin, Melbourne, Sydney, Tasmania, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, all metro and regional areas but do not deliver to areas in Australia where the Australia Post delivery network is not available.
Check Express shipping delivery coverage area at - http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-areas.html
Receipt of deliveries
Deliveries to post office boxes are not permitted where delivery is by courier. If delivery is by courier and nobody is available at the delivery address to accept delivery when delivery is attempted then the courier may either:
- leave the relevant parcel at the unattended address (the courier will do so if specified in your delivery requirements); or
- re-attempt delivery at a later time or date, in which case we may charge you an additional re-delivery fee.
Note that if a delivery is left unattended at the shipping address and is subsequently stolen then the theft is your responsibility, not ours.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.