Would you like to add audio/sound effects to your next project, without an Arduino+Shield? Or maybe you don't even know how to use microcontrollers, you just want to make a sound play whenever you press a button. What about something that has to be very small and portable? You are probably feeling a little frustrated: it's been very hard to find a simple, low cost audio effects trigger that is easy to use and does not require any programming
Don't get me wrong, I love the MP3 Music Maker shield and the Audio FX Sound Board + 2x2W Amp. And our Wave Shield is a dependable classic. But you either need an Arduino or they might be a little too big and powerful for your needs. So after a lot of engineering and tinkering we've come out with the Adafruit MINI Sound Board, the fastest way to add audio effects to a project, with a small footprint. We think this is the best sound board for props and costumes!
The Sound Board has a lot of amazing features that make it the easiest thing ever:
- No Arduino or other microcontroller required! It is completely stand-alone, just needs a 3 to 5.5VDC battery
- Small - only 1.5" x 0.9"
- Built in storage - yep! you don't even need an SD card, there's 16MB of storage on the board itself. Good for ~15 minutes of compressed stereo, and maybe a couple minutes of uncompressed stereo. Double that if you go with mono instead of stereo. If you don't need as much space, we also have a 2MB version.
- Built in Mass Storage USB - Plug any micro USB cable into the Sound Board and your Windows computer, you can drag and drop your files right on as if it were a USB key
- Compressed or Uncompressed audio - Go with compressed Ogg Vorbis files for longer audio files, or uncompressed WAV files
- High Quality Sound - You want 44.1KHz 16 bit stereo? Not a problem! The decoding hardware can handle any bit/sample rate and mono or stereo
- 8 Triggers - Connect up to 8 buttons or switches, each one can trigger audio files to play
- Stereo line out - Headphones, powered speakers or even wire up one of our amplifiers to make loud sounds. We also have a version with built-in stereo speaker amplifier
- Five different trigger effects - by changing the name of the files, you can create five different types of triggers which will cover a large range of projects without any programming
- Control over UART (9600 Baud) via any microcontroller, we have an Arduino Library for basic control over playback and volume.
What do we mean by trigger effects? Well, depending on your project you may need to have audio play in different ways. We thought of the five most common needs and built it into the Sound Board so you just rename the file to get the effect you want. See the product tutorial for more details
- Basic Trigger - name the file Tnn.WAV or Tnn.OGG to have the audio file play when the matching trigger pin nn is connected to ground momentarily
- Hold Looping Trigger - name the file TnnHOLDL.WAV or .OGG to have the audio play only when the trigger pin is held low, it will loop until the pin is released
- Latching Loop Trigger - name the file TnnLATCH.WAV or .OGG to have the audio start playing when the button is pressed momentarily, and repeats until the button is pressed again
- Play Next Trigger - have up to 10 files play one after the other by naming them TnnNEXT0.WAV thru TnnNEXT9.OGG. Will start with #0 and each one on every momentary button press until it gets through all of them, then go back to #0
- Play Random Trigger - just like the Play Next trigger, but will play up to 10 files in random order (TnnRAND0.OGG thru TnnRAND9.OGG) every time the button is pressed momentarily
The sound board is designed to be simple: it does not have polyphonic ability, can't play MP3's (MP3 is patented and costs $ to license, so this board uses the similar but not-patented OGG format, there's tons of free converters that will turn an MP3 into OGG), isn't reprogrammable or scriptable, and you can't have any other kind of trigger type. However, there's a good chance the project you want to make will work great.
We designed this board specifically for people who wanted to make props, costumes, toys, and other small portable projects. Check out the tutorial for all the powering options, you can power from 3-5VDC so a 3xAAA battery pack or a LiPoly battery will work well. You can even use our LiPoly backpack to fit on top for an all-in-one rechargeable effects board
- Board Dimensions: 38mm x 23mm x 4mm / 1.5" x 0.9" x 0.2"
- Board Weight: 3.6g
Datasheets, PCB files, and Fritzing object available from tutorial downloads page
Shipping rates Australia wide
|Express Post*||Regular Post||Courier|
|Up to 500 gms||$10.89||$6.59||$20|
|Up to 3 kg||$16.39||$11.43||$25|
|Up to 5 kg||$32.89||$22||NA|
|Above 5 kg
||Estimated at checkout|
Shipping rates to New Zealand
|Australia Post international service|
|Up to 500 gms||$18.00|
|Up to 1 kg||$30.00|
|Above 1 kg
||Available on request|
- How do I estimate shipping for my order?
- Add products in the shopping cart and head to the checkout page to estimate the shipping.
Unless expressly agreed otherwise with you, we will not commence delivery of an order until we have received cleared payment of the purchase price in full.
All orders placed before 11 am AEST (Monday to Friday) will ordinarily be processed on the same day.
We will endeavour to ship the Products by the applicable time indicated on the website, but all times are indicative only. All shipping times are dispatch times only, and actual delivery dates will depend on the shipping method chosen, delivery address and delivery service provider.
Note- Please make a note during purchase if you require any item urgently. However we cannot guarantee that we will be able to comply with any request.
*Go to Australia post delivery time calculation to get various Australia post service in your area please use our shipping postcode Rosanna, 3074 as the "from" address - https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-times.html?ilink=tools-open-deliv-times.
We ship all products throughout mainland Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand - Including Darwin, Melbourne, Sydney, Tasmania, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, all metro and regional areas but do not deliver to areas in Australia where the Australia Post delivery network is not available.
Check Express shipping delivery coverage area at - http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-areas.html
Receipt of deliveries
Deliveries to post office boxes are not permitted where delivery is by courier. If delivery is by courier and nobody is available at the delivery address to accept delivery when delivery is attempted then the courier may either:
- leave the relevant parcel at the unattended address (the courier will do so if specified in your delivery requirements); or
- re-attempt delivery at a later time or date, in which case we may charge you an additional re-delivery fee.
Note that if a delivery is left unattended at the shipping address and is subsequently stolen then the theft is your responsibility, not ours.
Easy to solder and setup.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.