Feather is the new development board from Adafruit, and like its namesake it is thin, light, and lets you fly! We designed Feather to be a new standard for portable microcontroller cores.
This is the Adafruit Feather 32u4 FONA - our take on an 'all-in-one' Arduino-compatible + audio/sms/data capable cellular with built in USB and battery charging. Its an Adafruit Feather 32u4 with a FONA800 module, ready to rock! We have other boards and accessories in the Feather family, check'em out here.
At the Feather 32u4's heart is at ATmega32u4 clocked at 8 MHz and at 3.3V logic, a chip setup we've had tons of experience with as it's the same as the Flora. This chip has 32K of flash and 2K of RAM, with built in USB so not only does it have a USB-to-Serial program & debug capability built in with no need for an FTDI-like chip, it can also act like a mouse, keyboard, USB MIDI device, etc.
Since you'll be taking this on the road, we added a connector for any of our 3.7V Lithium polymer batteries and built in battery charging. A 500mAh+ Lipoly battery is required for use, it keeps the cellular module happy during the high current spikes. Plug the Feather into microUSB to charge at 500mA.
Here's some handy specs! Like all Feather 32u4's you get:
- Measures 2.4" x 0.9" x 0.28" (61mm x 23mm x 7mm) without headers soldered in
- Light as a (large?) feather - 8.2 grams
- ATmega32u4 @ 8MHz with 3.3V logic/power
- 3.3V regulator with 500mA peak current output
- USB native support, comes with USB bootloader and serial port debugging
- You also get tons of pins - 20 GPIO pins
- Hardware Serial, hardware I2C, hardware SPI support
- 8 x PWM pins
- 10 x analog inputs
- Built in 500mA lipoly charger with charging status indicator LED
- Pin #13 red LED for general purpose blinking
- Power/enable pin for the 3.3V regulator
- 4 mounting holes
- Reset button
Connect your Feather to the Internet or make phone calls with our trusted-and-tested FONA module. At the heart is a GSM cellular module (we use the latest SIM800) the size of a postage stamp. This module can do just about everything.
- Quad-band 850/900/1800/1900MHz - connect onto any global GSM network with any 2G SIM (in the USA, T-Mobile is suggested)
- Make and receive voice calls using an external 8Ω speaker + electret microphone
- Send and receive SMS messages
- Send and receive GPRS data (TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.)
- Scan and receive FM radio broadcasts (yeah, we don't exactly know why this was included but it works really well)
- AT command interface with "auto baud" detection
- Pair-able Bluetooth client interface with SPP (for controlling the module) as well as audio.
You will also need some required accessories to make Feather FONA work. These are not included!
- SIM Card! - A 2G Mini SIM card is required to do anything on the cellular network. US AT&T no longer sells 2G SIMs and will shut off their 2G network, so for American customers we recommend any T-Mobile or reseller (TING, SIMPLE mobile, etc) that uses the T-Mobile network.
- Lipoly Battery - 500mAh or larger! This 500mAh battery, or this 1200mAh will work great.
- MicroUSB cable for charging the battery.
- External Antenna - We like this slim sticker-type, which plugs right in. Alternatively, this straight SMA one or this right-angle SMA one will work but you'll also need a uFL to SMA adapter cable so you can connect to your SMA antenna
- External Mic & Speaker - If you want to make phone calls, you'll also need this electret mic and mini 8 ohm speaker
- 2.4" x 0.9" x 0.28" / 61mm x 23mm x 7mm
- Weight: 8.2g
Shipping rates Australia wide
|Express Post*||Regular Post||Courier|
|Up to 500 gms||$10.89||$6.59||$20|
|Up to 3 kg||$16.39||$11.43||$25|
|Up to 5 kg||$32.89||$22||NA|
|Above 5 kg
||Estimated at checkout|
Shipping rates to New Zealand
|Australia Post international service|
|Up to 500 gms||$18.00|
|Up to 1 kg||$30.00|
|Above 1 kg
||Available on request|
- How do I estimate shipping for my order?
- Add products in the shopping cart and head to the checkout page to estimate the shipping.
Unless expressly agreed otherwise with you, we will not commence delivery of an order until we have received cleared payment of the purchase price in full.
All orders placed before 11 am AEST (Monday to Friday) will ordinarily be processed on the same day.
We will endeavour to ship the Products by the applicable time indicated on the website, but all times are indicative only. All shipping times are dispatch times only, and actual delivery dates will depend on the shipping method chosen, delivery address and delivery service provider.
Note- Please make a note during purchase if you require any item urgently. However we cannot guarantee that we will be able to comply with any request.
*Go to Australia post delivery time calculation to get various Australia post service in your area please use our shipping postcode Rosanna, 3074 as the "from" address - https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-times.html?ilink=tools-open-deliv-times.
We ship all products throughout mainland Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand - Including Darwin, Melbourne, Sydney, Tasmania, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, all metro and regional areas but do not deliver to areas in Australia where the Australia Post delivery network is not available.
Check Express shipping delivery coverage area at - http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-areas.html
Receipt of deliveries
Deliveries to post office boxes are not permitted where delivery is by courier. If delivery is by courier and nobody is available at the delivery address to accept delivery when delivery is attempted then the courier may either:
- leave the relevant parcel at the unattended address (the courier will do so if specified in your delivery requirements); or
- re-attempt delivery at a later time or date, in which case we may charge you an additional re-delivery fee.
Note that if a delivery is left unattended at the shipping address and is subsequently stolen then the theft is your responsibility, not ours.
The size of this is awesome. About the length of an 18650 battery, with a similar width, it's good for small projects. Your battery will most likely be larger. An important note: You must use this with a battery, even when testing. The USB port is only for charging and programming. Without the battery, the board may reset uncontrollably. I recommend being very careful if you decide to solder wires to the speaker and mic holes. They are very close to each other, and are difficult to work with. Headers may be the best option. You must also change to the external speaker in your code. Otherwise there will be no sound. And as Adafruit recommends, turn the volume to 0 when your not using the speaker to avoid board resets. Some other settings must also be changed, like the default pin numbers in the example sketch. It is difficult to set a custom baud rate, as it doesn't tend to save even with the right AT codes. I couldn't get 57600 to work, so smaller values may be necessary. The test sketch takes about 97% of program memory, so don't include anything you won't use.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.