Bend all audio files to your will with the Adafruit Music Maker shield for Arduino! This powerful shield features the VS1053, an encoding/decoding (codec) chip that can decode a wide variety of audio formats such as MP3, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, MIDI, FLAC, WAV (PCM and ADPCM). It can also be used to record audio in both PCM (WAV) and compressed Ogg Vorbis. You can do all sorts of stuff with the audio as well such as adjusting bass, treble, and volume digitally.
All this functionality is implemented in a light-weight SPI interface so that any Arduino can play audio from an SD card. There's also a special MIDI mode that you can boot the chip into that will read 'classic' 31250Kbaud MIDI data from an Arduino pin and act like a synth/drum machine - there are dozens of built-in drum and sample effects! But the chip is a pain to solder, and needs a lot of extras. That's why we spun up the best shield, perfect for use with any Arduino Uno, Leonardo or Mega.
This version of the shield includes an onboard 3W/channel stereo audio amplifier that can drive 4 or 8 ohm speakers. It's the same amplifier as in our TS2012 breakout, a great class D amplifier that sounds good and is power-conscious for portable/battery usage. Volume control is handled by the VS1053 chip. We also have a version without an amplifier, when only line/headphone out is required.
We believe this is the best MP3 playing shield you can get, and at a great price too. Here are some specs:
- Features the VS1053B codec chip - decodes Ogg Vorbis, MP3/MP2/MP1, MP4, AAC, WMA, FLAC, WAV/PCM, MIDI. Encodes Ogg or WAV/PCM
- Stereo audio out with proper audio filter caps and ground reference so it can be safely connected directly to headphones, a stereo system or other powered speakers
- 7 extra GPIO's that can be written or read through the Arduino Library for reading buttons or lighting LEDs
- MicroSD card socket, for any FAT16/FAT32 formatted SD card from 64Mb or greater.
- Full 3.3/5V level shifting for SD and MP3 chipsets
- Works with Arduino Uno, Mega, or Leonardo
- Built in MIDI synth/drum machine with dozens of instruments
- Plenty of optional breakouts for pins like the card-detect and microphone input
Each order comes with one fully-assembled and tested shield, 2 2-pin terminal blocks, a stick of 0.1" male header and 2x3 female header for the ICSP connection. Some light soldering is required to attach the through-hole headers to the PCB for plugging into the Arduino as well as the terminal blocks for the speakers. Speakers, $1 headphones, SD card and Arduino not included!
We're wrapping up the full tutorial with photos of the shield, but for now we have a detailed tutorial with lots of information about the VS1053 as well as instructions for how to use our Arduino library that will get you playing sound effects in under 30 minutes
- Aug 20, 2014: We updated the analog section to have more filtering, which should improve audio output quality (even more!) There are no wiring or code changes.
- Dimensions (assembled): 69mm x 53mm x 2mm / 2.7" x 2.1" x 0.8"
- Weight: 14.7g
- Datasheets, EagleCAD PCB files, Fritzing object and more in the tutorial
Shipping rates Australia wide
|Express Post*||Regular Post||Courier|
|Up to 500 gms||$9.79||$6.75||$15.99|
|Up to 3 kg||$15.00||$11.40||$15.99|
|Up to 5 kg||$30.00||$22.11||NA|
|Above 5 kg
||Estimated at checkout|
Shipping rates to New Zealand
|Australia Post international service|
|Up to 500 gms||$18.00|
|Up to 1 kg||$30.00|
|Above 1 kg
||Available on request|
- How do I estimate shipping for my order?
- Add products in the shopping cart and head to the checkout page to estimate the shipping.
Unless expressly agreed otherwise with you, we will not commence delivery of an order until we have received cleared payment of the purchase price in full.
All orders placed before 11 am AEST (Monday to Friday) will ordinarily be processed on the same day.
We will endeavour to ship the Products by the applicable time indicated on the website, but all times are indicative only. All shipping times are dispatch times only, and actual delivery dates will depend on the shipping method chosen, delivery address and delivery service provider.
Note- Please make a note during purchase if you require any item urgently. However we cannot guarantee that we will be able to comply with any request.
*Go to Australia post delivery time calculation to get various Australia post service in your area please use our shipping postcode Rosanna, 3074 as the "from" address - https://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-times.html?ilink=tools-open-deliv-times.
We ship all products throughout mainland Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand - Including Darwin, Melbourne, Sydney, Tasmania, Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, all metro and regional areas but do not deliver to areas in Australia where the Australia Post delivery network is not available.
Check Express shipping delivery coverage area at - http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/delivery-areas.html
Receipt of deliveries
Deliveries to post office boxes are not permitted where delivery is by courier. If delivery is by courier and nobody is available at the delivery address to accept delivery when delivery is attempted then the courier may either:
- leave the relevant parcel at the unattended address (the courier will do so if specified in your delivery requirements); or
- re-attempt delivery at a later time or date, in which case we may charge you an additional re-delivery fee.
Note that if a delivery is left unattended at the shipping address and is subsequently stolen then the theft is your responsibility, not ours.